The value of theatre in education is greater today perhaps, than in any time since its inclusion in the standard secondary and post secondary curriculum. Where the academic themes of ...more
Simi Valley High School is home to
the Pioneer Players, our award winning
Theatre Arts Department.
- Theatre Arts I - Basic Level - Year long
- Theatre Arts II - Intermediate Level - Year long
- Play Production - Advanced Level - Year long (by permission only)
- Acting for the Camera - Beginning Level - Year long
- Creative Dramatics - Non-performance oriented - Fall Semester
- Technical Theatre - Practical Art course - Spring Semester
- Monthly lunch time Brown Bag performances
- ComedySportz training and performances (Improv team)
- Field trips to Will Geer Theatre
- Attendance at theatrical productions
- Drama Teachers Association of Southern California Fall Festival
- Drama Teachers Association of Southern California Shakespeare Festival
- International Thespian Society Weekend Conference
- Actor’s Drama Festival -Ojai
- Play Production Winter Show
- All School Spring Musical
- One Act Festival
- Mystery/Melodrama Dinner Show
Student Leadership Opportunities
- Thespian Society Club Officers
- Stage Managers
- Publicity Manager
- $200 - $500 Senior Scholarships
- Senior Plaques
Theatre Arts I - Year course - No prerequisite
This class covers the basics of performance. Students will gain self-confidence and a greater awareness of their environment through theatre games, improvisation, and pantomime during the first semester. The second semester includes character and scene work, theatre vocabulary and job opportunities.
Theatre Arts II - Year course - College Prep - Prerequisite: Prior acting experience and/or one year of Theatre Arts
Students continue to develop their performance skills. Performances before live audiences are a possibility but rehearsals for these performances are usually completed during class time. Students will study directing and theatre history.
Play Production - Year course - College Prep - Prerequisite: Prior acting experience and/or one year of Theatre Arts
Students are involved in performing in one acts, scenes for competition, and a major full length production each semester. Rehearsals and performances outside of class time are required. Students also study theatre history to prepare them for college work in theatre.
Acting For The Camera - Year course - Prerequisite: Prior acting experience and/or one year of Theatre Arts
Students will learn techniques for acting before the camera in commercials, soap operas, news casts, sit-coms, independent films, and mini-series.
Creative Dramatics - Semester course - No prerequisite
Students will participate in theatre games to develop sensory awareness, self-confidence, team building, goal setting and communication skills. Public performance is not the goal of this class.
Technical Theatre - Semester course - Practical Art credit - No prerequisite
Students will gain practical knowledge in the areas of stage lighting, sound, set construction, stage make-up, properties, costumes, publicity, and theatre management.